Watch out for Unhealthy eating at work
You don’t have to neglect your eating habits once in the job world. With some self discipline, right choices and healthy snacking at regular intervals, you could still maintain your weight and health. Don’t let your job take a toll on your health. Do your best to cope intelligently by not letting the pressure spill on your eating choices and ruin your health in the long run. Take charge of your health for your own well-being.
Newcomers trying to adjust to a workplace experience a dramatic shift in their diet. As most workplaces are hierarchically organised coping with senior colleagues and workload leave little time or desire to eat healthy. One tends to reach out to the free cups of sweet tea or coffee to suppress hunger. You are in a constant state of an adrenalin rush but starving.
When more established, office goers deal with stress and exhaustion by giving into instant cravings for junk food like ice-creams and pizzas. Lately with the menu options just a click away, ordering extravagant and heavy meals is easier. No thought is given to nutrition and the foods’ effect on blood sugar levels in the body.
Some tips for breaking the association between workplace stress and food-
– Start your day with a breakfast that keeps your energy going throughout the day. Include eggs, cottage cheese, porridge, fruits, bran based breakfast cereal, yogurt and milk in your diet. Carry a fruit or chilled smoothie to office and have it along the way.
-People who put in all- nighters at work or binge on drinks and food at late night office parties should avoid a greasy breakfast the next morning. Start your day with herbal teas or vegetable juice.
– To cope with sudden hunger pangs in office or while travelling carry these nutri-dense foods as anytime munchies:
Yogurt , granola bars, trail mix( dry- fruits and seeds), roasted makhanas( lotus seeds), roasted peanuts, unsweetened juice, coconut water, whole wheat biscuits or oatmeal biscuits, whole wheat crackers, vegetable whole grain sandwich and fruit.
– To keep the metabolism going when you are sedentary there is additional requirement of healthy fats and less of starchy carbohydrates like bread, pasta and rice. Choose wisely from the office canteen or the lunches provided by office. Fill half your plate with salad first and non starchy vegetables. Rest with proteins and lastly with some carbohydrates.
– If small snacks and meals work better for you, keep them light on grains, rich in proteins and vegetables. Fibre rich snacks help in slow release of glucose and keep away acidity.
– Snack with an office colleague or friend. Eating together pizzas, pastries or any other unhealthy food will be still better than snacking alone.
– Always remember that reaching out for a sugary snack to help keep you focussed only encourages the need for more sugar.
When all your job demands is moving your fingertips, it is easier to deny your body food when hungry or load it with food when full. No matter what happens at work your body needs to be fed healthy meals on a regular basis.
Sapna Puri, a Delhi based Diet Coach is dedicated to helping people lose weight and in turn gain better health and confidence. She believes in a holistic approach keeping in mind the lifestyle, health concerns and emotional well being of her clients. She blends her knowledge with her inner calling to create awareness and deliver healthy solutions, all along motivating them and being there for them at every step!